Sewing Machines require love and attention to keep them running smoothly and with regular maintenance you can avoid expensive trips to the repair shop. Our 6 simple tips will help keep your machine in tip top shape!
1. Have your sewing machine serviced annually. It’s also a good idea to carry out regular mini-maintenance sessions yourself as recommended in your sewing machine manual.
2. About every 8 hours of sewing time, or once a season if you don’t use your machine frequently, clean the bobbin case as dust and lint gathers here. Use the cleaning brush supplied with the machine to remove this.
3. Change needles frequently as a high proportion of problems begin with the needle. You’ll save yourself a lot of frustration while stitching!
4. One of the best things you can do for your machine is to use a good quality thread. Poor quality threads, or those actually intended for overlockers will shed more lint and break more easily which will clog up your tension discs.
5. Clean your machine before putting it away if you’re planning to store it for a while. When you take your machine out of storage, run it for a bit unthreaded.
6. Cover your machine when not in use to keep it dust free – our ‘A Stitch in Time’ sewing machine cover will keep your treasured machine warm and cosy!
We hope you’ve found our tips helpful – if you’ve got any we haven’t included please leave them in the comments section. We’d love to hear from you!