The weather has turned again this week as we experience a run of south-westerly winds bringing grey skies, mist and rain. But inside my little blue shed all is a riot of colour as I have been sorting out my fabric stash for my new quilt as well finishing off the first project for the March Magazine, a bowl of spring daffodils….
A companion piece to the bowl of snowdrops pattern I gave away in my last blog post (the snowdrops are still available, if you’d like to stitch them please just CLICK HERE to visit the post and download your free pattern).
But back to my new quilt project…. way back in 2012 I undertook and completed possibly my most ambitious quilt ever….
Shown here in my old bedroom at Coombe Leigh in Devon. I rather like this photo of my quilt as you can’t see all the wonky bits and problems – in fact it really looks quite professional! I blogged about it at the time and you can read the post here. I still have my quilt, though these days I use it as a throw for my sofa. It’s no longer quite as pristine as it looks in the image above, since in the last decade it has been sat on by three Newfoundlands, a cat, a Labrador and a very naughty Parson Jack Russell! Now I’m setting out to make another, but this one will be a little bit different….
As Bustle & Sew Magazine readers will know, each month there are six (five completely new and one blast from the past) patterns in every issue. Not all of these patterns are embroidery, but a fair proportion are, and of those, quite a few are stitched on linen or cotton – fabrics that are hard wearing and stand up to laundering.
I stitch a sample for every pattern, after which it’s photographed, written up and kept to hand for a while ready to refer to in case of queries. Then the sample hoop disappears into a cupboard or is stacked on a shelf, almost never to be seen again. This does seem such a pity, and now I’ve decided to do something about it by creating a new quilt incorporating some of the suitable samples I have lying around. This is quite a lot as we’re now up to issue 146 of the magazine!
As I am not a very good quilter and my cutting skills are inaccurate to say the least I have decided to take a different approach to this quilt. I had a couple of metres of faulty cotton that I ordered for kits, but couldn’t use due to ink marks running through the whole piece and magically there were 10″ squares marked on it. So I decided to use these printed squares as a base for the stitch’n’flip technique. This would mean (fireworks, and celebrations) all my squares would be exactly the same size, nice and robust, and I could use lots and lots of scraps from my stash. Above are the first four panels I’ve completed and I’ll post more as I progress.