If you’re looking for a delicious filling meal then look no further! Although the cold winter months are firmly behind us I’m still not quite ready for lots of summer salads just yet. For me a flan like this, filled with lovely fresh green leeks and peas is just the thing for a special lunch with other mums from Freddie’s playgroup, perhaps with some new potatoes or freshly baked crusty bread.
● 450 g leeks, trimmed, sliced and washed
● 100g fresh or frozen peas (not tinned, those are horrid in this recipe)
● 150 ml milk
● 150 g natural yogurt
● 3 eggs
● 175 g plain wholemeal flour
● 100 g Cheddar cheese, grated
● 75 g butter
● 23 cm (9”) flan dish
● Pre-heat your oven to 190C.
● Cook the leeks and peas in a little salted water in a tightly covered medium saucepan until tender. Drain well.
● Puree ½ of the mixture together with the milk and yogurt in a blender or food processor. Stir in the remaining leeks and peas being careful not to break them up.
● Beat two of the eggs into the puree and season to taste. Lightly beat the remaining egg in a small bowl.
● Put the flour and half the cheese in a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then bind together with the remaining egg.
● Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line the flan dish. Pour in the leek and pea mixture.
● Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Bake at 190C for 50-55 minutes until the top is golden brown.
● Serve with potatoes or crusty bread. Enjoy!
What’s your favourite food to make at this time of year? Leave us a comment below, we’d love to know!
*Recipe featured in Bustle & Sew Magazine. Find out more HERE.