Strawberries are one of my favourite foods and can be used in so many different (and equally delicious!) ways. This is a really yummy way to enjoy your berries and if you use low fat yoghurt and one of the natural zero-calorie sugar substitutes now so widely available it can be a reasonably healthy treat too. This recipe makes enough to serve 4 – or possibly fewer if your family and friends are as greedy as we are!
● 500 g strawberries
● 3 egg yolks
● 50 g icing sugar
● 150 g Greek yoghurt
● 125 ml whipping cream
● 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
● Extra strawberries to decorate/serve.
● Rinse, clean and puree the strawberries. Beat the egg yolks and icing sugar together over a warm bain-marie (or use a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water being careful that the bowl does not touch the water) until thick and frothy. Stir in the strawberry puree and the yoghurt.
● Whip the cream and vanilla sugar until stiff and fold into the mixture.
● Place in an ice cream maker and follow maker’s instructions. If you don’t have an ice cream maker then pour the mixture into a shallow, freezer-proof container, cover with a lid and freeze for one hour. Whisk after one hour to break down the ice crystals and repeat the whisking again 3 or 4 times during the freezing process to ensure your frozen yoghurt has an even texture.
● Serve garnished with the extra strawberries.
Do you have a favourite recipe that uses strawberries? Please share yours in the comments below, we’d love to know!
*This recipe originally featured in Bustle & Sew Magazine